What is lymphedema?
Lymphedema is the chronic, progressive disorder of the lymphatic system that occurs due to any impairment or obstruction in the normal lymphatic circulation and results in the retention and accumulation of protein rich fluid known as lymph in the interstitial spaces and tissues of the body. This disease might be present in the body congenitally (primary lymphedema), or may occur in a healthy person as a result of a surgery, injury, trauma, infection, cuts or burns etc, which may lead to the disruption of the normal lymphatic flow.
Currently, lymphedema is considered to be an incurable and irreversible disease because there is no definite medication or treatment that can successfully and completely cure the disease and eliminate all its symptoms from the body to cause reversal. However, there are various techniques that can lead to the effective reduction in certain symptoms and restore the normal functionality of the affected limb. At present, the most effective treatment for lymphedema is a combination therapy known as the complex or complete decongestive therapy (CDT), which comprises of simultaneous practices of compression, manual lymph drainage, specialized massages, exercises and safety procedures etc.
Regardless of the fact that this therapy has proved to be extremely effective and efficient in treating lymphedema to a huge extent, there are many patients all over the globe that believe in the power of natural cures for lymphedema.
Natural cures for lymphedema comprises of the use of various botanical products and preparations, dietary alterations, daily practices etc that are said to aid a lymphedema patient in the reduction of inflammation, edema and swelling caused due to lymphedema.
Some of the lymphedema natural cures that are practiced by people around the world are as follows:
- Weight loss: It has been seen that lymphedema causes the total body weight to increase rapidly with the progression of the disease and the accumulation of more and more lymph in the tissues of the body. Instead of the excisional surgeries involving debulking of this weight, the natural cures for lymphedema suggest the usage of various herbs and dietary modifications that can aid in shedding weight effectively, thus speeding up the recovery time and procedure.
- Dietary modification and alterations: The basic element of many natural cures of lymphedema is the consumption of a healthy, nutritious and balanced diet comprising of all nutrients and minerals that are essential for the body. This helps in boosting immunity of the body which may get compromised with the progression of the disease.
- Use of herbs: There are various herbs that are believed to aid in the natural treatment of lymphedema because of their properties. Some of these herbs include horse chestnut, butcher’s broom, ginger tea, sweet clover etc. All of these herbs possess the properties of boosting the lymphatic regulation and circulation and also act as anti inflammatory agents. Fruits such as pineapples and grapes (grape seeds specifically) also possess anti inflammatory properties and also boost the body’s immunity against various forms of cancers and infections.
- Meditation and yoga: There are many people who believe in the power of yoga and meditation as the natural cures of lymphedema. The relaxation and peace of mind that one acquires with the help of meditation creates a positive energy which is important for the cure of any disease in the world.
- Natural oils: There is a variety of natural oils that are also used in various medical preparations, which act as anti inflammatory agents in lymphedema. These include emu oil, fish oil and flaxseed oil.
- Homeopathic medication: There are also many people who believe in treating lymphedema naturally with the help of homeopathic medication which is prepared from natural substances and has little of no side effects.
Although there might not be any scientific basis for some of the above mentioned lymphedema natural cures, there are many patients all over the world who believe that these natural cures helped them in significantly reducing various symptoms of the disease, and also aided in preventing it from progressing. In fact there is a large percentage of people who actually believe that lymphedema can be gradually cured with the help of botanical and other natural ingredients and preparations.
There is no denying the fact that lymphedema natural cures unlike medication and surgical options, have no side effects whatsoever, which makes them entirely safe for use.