Lymphedema is a chronic condition that affects the limbs of the body, which may either include one limb, or both arms and legs. Lymphedema presents symptoms such as swelling and edema of the affected limb, which may lead to deformation and complete restriction of the range of movement which may immobilize the patient in case of leg lymphedema.
It is a common fact that there is no cure for lymphedema up till now, there is no definite treatment that can completely eliminate the disease and its symptoms from the body, but there are various techniques and methods whereby the swelling and edema associated to lymphedema can be reduced significantly. One activity that has produced outstanding results in this aspect is arm and leg lymphedema exercises. This article will focus on the various leg lymphedema exercises that help the patients in effectively reducing any swelling associated to the disease, and in restoring the normal function and movement of the limb.
Some exercises for leg lymphedema patients:
Before proceeding with any kind of exercises, it is important to discuss the exercise plan with the doctor to see if it is safe for you to practice that particular exercise. The leg lymphedema exercises enlisted as follows are relatively safe enough to be practiced by all patients.
- Elevation and stretching: The simplest and most basic type of exercise that can, and should be practiced by all leg lymphedema patients is elevation, and stretching. After diagnosis, all experts advise the patients to keep practices certain stretching exercises in order to maintain the regular movement of the limbs and to avoid the accumulation of lymph.
- Swimming is considered the best exercise for all arm and leg lymphedema patients because it consists of all the moves that are required for the effective reduction in the swelling and edema which may develop as the result of the disease. Many experts also advise the patients to wear compression garments while swimming, because these will provide an extra pressure to the affected regions.
- Deep abdominal breathing exercises are also ideal for leg lymphedema patients.
- Aerobic exercises such as running, jogging, cycling and skipping are excellent leg lymphedema exercises that have produced significant results in patients all over the world. Apart from maintaining health, these exercises effectively reduce the swelling and edema, restoring the normal function and movement of the lower limbs.
- It is also advised that while practicing any of these exercises, compression in the form of compression garments, sleeves, stockings and wraps in supposed to be present in order to suppress any swelling related to the condition.